Looking for an opportunity to build your writing portfolio?
We are currently open to submissions! Use the form below to tell us what you would like to write about and how your take would be valuable to Self-Himprovement's readers.
Currently, contributions are unpaid. Emphasis on "CURRENTLY."
We believe in transparency, so we want to be totally upfront that we aren't currently able to pay for contributions. We want to give folks an opportunity to use our platform, but we don't currently have the budget to compensate for work. So please keep that in mind when pitching– if your pitch may be better suited for a publication that is able to pay, get that bread! But, if you're wanting to build up your writing portfolio and get constructive feedback on your pitch and your article, this is a great way to do that.
We can't accept and publish ALL pitches.
But for those we do accept and publish, you'll receive:
- Feedback on your pitch. How can you improve your pitching skills to land more publications?
- Editorial notes on your content. Writing for the Internet is a challenge. With specific notes and a transparent editing process, you'll get insights into ways you can strengthen your writing long-term.
- Recognition by an audience of 25,000 monthly readers. While we're still a young site in the early stages of growing, we currently have about 25,000 readers each month, all of whom can read and fall in love with your work.
A Great Opportunity to Connect with A New Audience
Most of our readers are men between the ages of 24 and 35. They're eager to read through content that enriches their lives and challenges them to build the best version of who they are.
We would love to publish more of the following
(But if you have a great idea for some content that isn't on this list, don't worry. You're still welcome to pitch it! It's nice to get things that are already on your wishlist, but unexpected gifts are still grand as well.)
Personal Finance Insights
What are some of the underrated ways that folks can budget better, earn more, or spend less?
Style & Grooming Advice
A lot of guys struggle in the style and grooming departments because they aren't taught to think much about it while they're growing up. As adults who want to dress for success and look the part of a functional member of society, what should we be doing?
Unexpected Career Growth Tips
For many of us, employment constitutes the single largest occupier of our time. How can we grow into a career we love that compensates us fairly?
What we're not looking for...
As a general rule of thumb, if content is relevant to men between the ages of 24 and 35 and contains information that can help them build the lives they want, we're open to considering it.
However, there is some content we're not actively looking for and will not publish at this time:
- Sexually explicit content. Reason: we can't run ads on it. Sexual health as a topic is fine, but because ad guidelines specify that we be a bit prudish, we must ask that you publish your reviews of marital aids elsewhere.
- Anything that reads like a school essay. If something is written in a way that feels like a 5-paragraph, high school essay, it's not quite right for us. We don't want stiff, stilted content. We want conversational, authentic content.
- Heavy-handed product placement. If you have a product or service that could benefit our readers, that's fantastic! A content pitch is not the place to go into sales mode, though. Consider taking a more inbound marketing approach. What problems are you solving? Why do those problems matter? Focus more on these things, and less on convincing us to give you our money.
- Low-quality filler/ backlink dumps. Our editor-in-chief works in SEO for his dayjob. He can spot low-quality content and attempts at jamming in backlinks a mile away. Again: we will only publish content that is relevant to our readers. If you have content that is great for them, send it our way. If your content is great and links to something else you've worked on, that's fine too! If your content is haphazardly thrown together for the purpose of getting that backlink... we'll pass.
- ANYTHING RACIST, TRANSPHOBIC, HOMOPHOBIC, OR GENERALLY BIGOTED. If your content in any way degrades, insults, or invalidates the existence and experiences of any minority group, it is not a fit for us. We don't care if you think you have a morally superior hottake; edge lords, trolls, and incels aren't our target audience.